THE CUSTOMS ACT, 1962
(No. 52 of 1962)
15T[13PthP December, 1962]
Updated up to 28PthP March 2021
Chapter III - P1P[Appointment of Customs ports, airports, etc.]
Section 7. Appointment of customs ports, airports, etc.-
P2[(1)] The P3P[Board] may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint -
(a) the ports and airports which alone shall be customs ports or customs airports for the unloading of imported goods and the loading of export goods or any class of such goods;
P4P[(aa) the places which alone shall be inland P5P[container depots or air freight stations] for the unloading of imported goods and the loading of export goods or any class of such goods;]
(b) the places which alone shall be land customs stations for the clearance of goods imported or to be exported by land or inland water or any class of such goods;
(c) the routes by which alone goods or any class of goods specified in the notification may pass by land or inland water into or out of India, or to or from any land customs station from or to any land frontier;
(d) the ports which alone shall be coastal ports for the carrying on of trade in coastal goods or any class of such goods with all or any specified ports in India.
P6P[(e) the post offices which alone shall be foreign post offices for the clearance of imported goods or export goods or any class of such goods;
(f) the places which alone shall be international courier terminals for the clearance of imported goods or export goods or any class of such goods.]
P7P[(2) Every notification issued under this section and in force immediately before the commencement of the Finance Act, 2003 shall, on such commencement, be deemed to have been issued under the provisions of this section as amended by section 105 of the Finance Act, 2003 and shall continue to have the same force and effect after such commencement until it is amended, rescinded or superseded under the provisions of this section.]
Section 8. Power to approve landing places and specify limits of customs area. -
The P8P[Principal Commissioner of Customs or Commissioner of Customs] may, -
(a) approve proper places in any customs port or customs airport or coastal port for the unloading and loading of goods or for any class of goods;
(b) specify the limits of any customs area.
P9P[Section 9. ****]
Section 10. Appointment of boarding stations. -
The P8P[Principal Commissioner of Customs or Commissioner of Customs] may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint, in or near any customs port, a boarding station for the purpose of boarding of, or disembarkation from, vessels by officers of customs.
1. Substituted by Finance Act, 2016 (28 of 2016), section 117, for Appointment of Customs Ports, Airports, Warehousing stations, etc.(w.e.f. 14.05.2016).
2. Section 7 renumbered as sub-section (1) thereof by Act 32 of 2003, section 105(w.e.f.14-5-2003).
3. Substituted by Act 32 of 2003, section 105(a) for Central Government (w.e.f. 14-5-2003).
4. Inserted by Act 11 of 1983, section 47(w.e.f.13-5-1983).
5. Substituted by Finance Act, 2012 (23 of 2012), section 121, for container depots ( (w.e.f. 28.05.2012).
6. Inserted by Finance Act, 2017 (7 of 2017), section 90 (w.e.f. 31.03.2017).
7. Inserted by Act 32 of 2003, section 105 (b) (w.e.f. 14-5-2003).
8. Substituted by Finance (No. 2) Act, 2014 (25 of 2014), section 78 for the words Commissioner of Customs by (w.e.f. 06.08.2014).
9. Section 9 omitted by Finance Act, 2016 (28 of 2016), section118, (w.e.f. 14.05.2016). Before omission, section 9 stood as under:
9: Power to declare places to be warehousing stations. The Board may, by notification in the Official Gazette, declare places to be warehousing stations at which alone public warehouses may be appointed and private warehouses may be licensed.
Note: The updated version of the act as amended up to Finance Act 2021 (28 March 2021) has been prepared for convenience and easy reference of the trade and industry and has no legal binding or force. Notifications as published in the Official Gazette of Government of India only have the force of law. Any errors, feedback or suggestions for this document may kindly be brought to notice by sending an email on: firstname.lastname@example.org